How to Prevent Cyber Threats: Best Practices
Instead of focusing on building a response program for cyber threats, we’re proposing preemptive measures to make sure you never have to react to a breach. We have compiled a checklist of how to prevent cyber threats to get you started with risk-based cyber security.
The preventing cyber threats checklist:
Develop risk-based cyber security policies with buy-in from the top, down
- Establishing leaders and roles within cyber security helps with efficiency and getting tasks done. Just like any industry, good management is important and makes all the difference ineffectiveness.
Create collaboration across security and other teams (dev, IT, Devops)
- A great hindrance in cyber security is lack of communication. Bridging the divide between teams helps get a vulnerability from found to fix faster than putting in a request and never seeing it to the end.
Implement security awareness (including understanding of risk, training)
- Cyber security training is a critical missing link among enterprises. When employees are aware of how vulnerabilities happen within systems, all team members are able to become preventative defenders against attacks.
Having a risk-based remediation tool that can help you understand and prioritize risk in context, provides remedies, suggestions etc.
- A tool like Vulcan Cyber prioritizes and remediates vulnerabilities based on risk so you don’t have to manually monitor your entire system.
Fix necessary vulnerabilities in your network, application and cloud (across all cyber security programs)
- Once vulnerabilities are prioritized based on risk, it’s time to fix. The Vulcan Cyber Remedy Cloud is a free, dynamic database of patches, workarounds, and more for you to apply to vulnerabilities. Without fix, risk-based cyber security is not effective. Staying on top of high-risk vulnerabilities is the most important preventative measure.
Continually reassess your cyber posture
- The cyber security landscape is ever-changing, so it is important to re-evaluate your enterprise’s place within it. Ask yourself: Do our preemptive measures hold up? Do they work at-scale within our company? Are there any missing pieces?
When following these steps, risk-based cyber security puts you multiple steps ahead of attacks. Learn more about how to prevent cyber threats at our blog.
Take control of your cyber security by preventing cyber threats. Start with Vulcan Cyber!