Website vulnerability scanners comb through web applications and detect security vulnerabilities, malware, and more. Web vulnerability scanners provide the most comprehensive data when it comes to protecting your web applications. Once this data is provided, Vulcan can help you take the next step by prioritizing and remediating vulnerabilities. Listed below are some key features to look for in vulnerability scanners to help you obtain data that will allow you to better protect your web applications from threats.
- Asset Discovery
- Running asset discoveries enables you to keep tabs on any IT asset in your network. Knowing what assets you have is an essential step in developing an effective security management system.
- Scanning Capabilities
- Website vulnerability scanners can perform authenticated, and non-authenticated (more surface level) scans to help you identify potential threats. When looking at scanning capabilities, you must evaluate the web application coverage, as web application scans often uncover malware, vulnerabilities, and flaws in your network.
- Policy Compliance
- Another factor to consider when choosing the best web vulnerability scanner for your systems is to evaluate how well a scanner integrates with your other systems. The more integration capabilities a scanner has, the more automated and efficient it will be.
- Action Plans – the quality of vulnerability reporting
- It is also essential to take into account the quality of the reports that a vulnerability scan produces. Since vulnerability scanning is only the first step in the remediation process, scanners must provide you with high-quality data to decide on the next steps and remediation action plans.
- Risk Scores and Further Planning
- Similarly to the process of data turning into action plans, it may be beneficial for your organization to choose a web vulnerability scanner that provides you with a risk score. Overall vulnerability risk scores can help prioritize areas of improvement before planning for remediations.
In this day and age, it can be challenging to keep up with the threats facing web applications, which is why you must protect your organization with quality vulnerability scanners. However, scanning is just one step in the remediation process. After scans are performed, Vulcan can help you prioritize and remediate risk according to your organization’s priorities and needs.